Coal Creek Central had a short history
Of all the Montgomery County high schools that consolidated in 1971 to form North Montgomery High School and Southmont High School, Coal Creek Central High School had by far the shortest history.
Coal Creek Central was formed in 1953 by the consolidation of New Richmond and Wingate whereas the other schools involved in the 1971 consolidation had been in operation since the early 1900’s. The most successful years for Bearcat basketball during their short seventeen year history were 1965-1967 during which time their coach was Phil Miller. The Bearcats won the Crawfordsville Sectional in 1966 and the Montgomery County Tournament in 1965 and 1967.
Five players from Coal Creek have been inducted into the Montgomery County Basketball Hall of Fame: Gary Smith (1954), Dick Shull (1959), Larry Lidester (1966), Lee Fouts (1967), and Rick Haas (1969).