Breaks High School: A Brief History
The community of Breaks, about five miles northwest of Crawfordsville, had a high school that opened in the late 19th century and continued into the early 20th century. Breaks High School closed sometime around 1920 but the school continued as an elementary school until the mid 20th century.
Available records are few but basketball records of other Montgomery County schools such as Crawfordsville, New Richmond and Wingate report that these teams played Breaks High School in the first two decades of the 20th century. Although these records make it apparent that Breaks fielded a high school basketball team in the first two decades of the 20th century, the records for the Crawfordsville sectional of the Indiana sectional basketball tournament which was begun in 1915 does not list Breaks High School as ever participating in the sectional tournaments.
The Breaks School building still stands and has been converted into a private residence.
If anyone has additional information about Breaks High School basketball, please contact BHP at email@example.com.
Copyright (c) 2012-2013 - Basketball Heritage Project, Inc. - All Rights Reserved!